historical temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:28:06 EST

Charles writes:

<< Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has a list of favorite piano pieces to play
for various temperaments. I'm sure Ed Foote must have a repertoir that he
would use for demonstrating temperaments. >>

Greetings,
   There are any number of pieces that demonstrate one or another aspect of
temperament.  Just as George Gershwin's music can demo exactly why ET sounds
so good, Bach's will show a Werckmeister to good effect.
  In general terms,  I have tried to use music that contains a lot of
vertical harmony to demo the temperaments in my classes.  The two CD's that
we have out,(one, "6 Degrees of Tonality" is absolutely rocketing up the
Amazon.com sales rankings as a result of Isacoff's misleading book
"Temperament"), cover much of what I thought sounded good.  The opening of
the "Moonlight" sonata on the first one, and Beethoven's op 110 on the second
are very strong examples.  Haydn's sonata in Eb in a Kirnberger is also
another world of sound.
   After hearing the pianist in St. Louis play Clara Schumann's "Variations
on a Theme by Robert Schumann",  I have been making plans to produce our
third recording as "Well Tempered Clara".  Her use of harmony is incredible,
delicate, and imho, absolutely dependant on key color to create the maximum
expression of emotional image.  We will see.
regards,
Ed Foote RPT