pianotech-digest V2002 #84

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:24:08 -0500 (EST)

RicB wrote:
> If I wasnt confused before I sure am now.... On the one hand there is by
> Weinreich pretty clear message that vertical (transverse to the soundboard)
> movement is real important.

I don't think the authors were clear enough what they meant by "vertical"
or "transverse" or whatever. I think when Weibreich says
  "The vertical motion of the
  soundboard turns out to have much more 'give' than the horizontal
  motion"
I think he means that the board is flexible in an up-and-down way (for a
grand piano) but not in the side-to-side way. So I think it agrees with
the other article. That's also consistent with those other articles from
Perdue. One of them said something about the horizontal motions not having
been studied, and they implied they didn't think they were the most
important motions.

Charles