Steinway C

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 14:28:44 +1100

Joseph,

>Folks,
>I had a wonderful tuning experience on Friday. A Steinway model C
>serial No. 105173. Pierce shows it to be a 1902. . . Aside from a
>strange type of false beat (very faint) in the higher treble (looks
>like uneven lengths of wire for each unison) the piano was
>absolutely beautiful, both in an aural and visual sense. I believe
>the style is a Louis XV, done in Mahogany, rewhatevered done by
>Washburn Pianos in Phoenix. Looks like a new board, but hard to tell
>about the bridge. Everything clean and shiny. Nice work by those
>people. Anyone know of the names of the craftsmen or if they
>associate with the list?

There are certainly examples where skilled rebuilders have been able
to, against all odds, make a decent piano out of something which is
by today's design standards, wanting.

>  What think ye about the model C, I don't recall see that model
>discussed much on this list? Give me more of this piano type!
>
>Joseph Alkana  RPT
><mailto:josephspiano@attbi.com>josephspiano@attbi.com

In early December 01 scaling was under discussion on the list. I
published a page of graphs comparing % breaking strain, Z and
inharmonicity for both the Steinway C and our 225 piano. The Steinway
C is an older scale which has been designed to break at F21
(presumable to make it look more like the longer Steinway D which
also breaks at F 21). However, this crossover point results in a
less-than ideal break between the bass and treble bridge on a seven
foot piano, since the percentage of breaking strain must fall down to
what I would consider to be an unacceptably low value (at the lowest
note on the long bridge).

The published scale charts, with accompanying notes, are viewable at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au/chrts.html

Regards,

Ron O.

--