my own Soundboard

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:44:21 -0500

Ron,
    thank you for your accommodation of my request. I received the
pictures and it was exactly what i was looking for. I may not make them
immediately and favor Ron N. approach until I get more time and a
feeling for just how much I may be leaning into this part of the
business. I love shop work but the bread and butter has always been
tunings.
    I thought that tongue and groove might be a good idea long before I
heard about it here. Lately I've been day dreaming about finger joints.
Any feelings on how that might work in a soundboard situation? It seems
that a finger joint would offer more surface area than a tongue and
groove. Call me a ponderer.
    I would love to here from you any tips, ideas, or pitfalls to be
aware of as I begin to prepare for this job. If you have an idea of a
supplier for Sitka or opinions about other woods I would love to hear
that too! though I was not fortunate enough to hear your piano this past
convention I hope to this time around in Chicago. I certainly respect
your opinion and value your input to "the list".
    The three gluers thing was cute! How is your efforts going in
getting your piano used at the concert hall? Is this a battle with
Steinway or the hall? The longer I'm in this business the less respect I
seem to have for Steinway. They do some things well but the most
successful thing they do is their marketing. well, this is nothing new
to serious technicians is it?
    Thanks again for taking the time. Good luck in getting your piano
it's time in the spotlight!

Regards,
Greg

--