Scales: was Steinway C

Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:50:01 +0100

Friends:

One of the reoccurring themes on this list has to do with alleged problems
concerning scales of differing manufacturers. I know from discussions with techs
both on and off the Nordic list and back in the US that there are lots of
opinions about the scaleing programs available and the use of these to improve
on a scale. I was also jarred by reading in Benade about a suggestion he had for
looking at scale design from a completely different perspective and have begun
to wonder since what other possible concerns there are for a scale.

So what is a good scale exactly ? What are the most important priorites, and
what resulting drawbacks from any given choice are to be lived with... what are
the expendables as it were.  Very curioius to hear from as many of you with
experience in designing scales as is possible.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.