Steinway M/rollers/touch

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:16:38 -0500 (EST)

Steinway M, new strings, pinblock, hammers...so on.
Client insisted on keeping action parts for now,
save some money.

Spent yesterday leveling/seating string, sound
came up nice.

Problem:
  Remains heavier then I'd expect for what is done.
Able hammers with mahogany moldings shaped as much
as I normally would.
Some sample downweight is around 54-55g,
upweight around 36.
I want 50 but am reluctant to take off more before
more thinking. I havn't had to do more shaping before
then I've already done now. They sound great, a reason
why I am not anxious to remove more weight
I listened as the weight came off, and like
where they are tonally now. Not anxious to make them
lighter and brighter, and I have not juiced them.

  I'm questioning if the rollers(not original) are
oversize, and this is causing problems. Also,
whomever changed them did not glue all rollers in
perpendicular to the shank, nor to the bottom of the
slot. They were gummed up with graphite goop. Cleaned
as best possible. They are somewhat flat.

Does anyone care to comment on

1) The effect of oversize rollers.....how much
difference in grams have some experienced.

2) the effect of crooked rollers, how much variation
   in touch weight have you seen this cause.

3) Chastizement for trying to save these shanks
   may be deserving.

4) And one other problem. I purchased Able hammers
   advertised by a supplier as "replacement for
   Steinway...26 bass".
   The tails are barely long enough to check, The
backchecks were changed at one time.(its a 1927 M)
If I unscrew them a bit I can just get them to
work, and I'm not getting much tail contact. I did
curve tails but not shorten them at all.

I've rebuilt enough grands, and had enough success
to know this feels different, I suspect when I test
one shank with a new roller I will become happier.

Ask away, or fire away, flamesuit ready in case.
I am going to fix this....thinking.

                            Dave Renaud
                            RPT

PS: Many thanks to contributing list members,
your input does help raise standards....still
learning.

Web-hosting solutions for home and business! http://website.yahoo.ca