Scales/Richard Brekne's question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:56:16 -0800

Richard,
The main thing that should be considered, in scaling evaluation, is what can
be changed to the advantage of the instrument. In other words, if you are
simply replacing strings and not changing the configuration of the plate,
board & bridges, what can be changed to make it "less bad". A lot of this
work is intuitive and is gained by doing. Hopefully, the experience is
gained on pianos of your own or inconsequential re-what-evers. If a new
board and bridges are to be added to the mix, then there is far more to be
changed and improved. I advocate an "evaluation" of every piano scale that
is being redone, if not for improvement, at least to see what the scale is
and why it turns out as it does. I think this is invaluable to any rebuilder
and do not understand why, when we have the ability to do this, that more
are not embracing this technology.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)