Steinway M/rollers/touch

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:51:05 +0100

Dave,

How is the roller far from the pin (16mm, or 17 mm) ?

Your piano where probably at first with 16 mm distance and 9 mm roller, it
is sometime necessary when 17 mm /10 mm parts are installed to shim with a
very thin cardboard between the top of the whippen flange and the rail, so
the roller is in a better orientation against the repetition lever.

I have used this process and it works, but don't go to far from 113 mm
spread if you don't want the action to feel mushy. I generally use 0.4 mm x
2mm large cardboard (and it compress). I've find cardboard shims on some
original actions coming from the factory (Hamburg)

Regarding the Abel parts, they weight generally less in the bass than modern
ones, and yes the tails may be a little short, but they are probably more
weighty than the original shanks/hammers (1 - 1.5 g more) If you have curved
too much the back of the tails you will need to reset completely the
backchek angle to obtain an acceptable checking.

And last, did you check the tubular frame precisely ? If the drop screws are
not all approx the same height there is a problem there , you can see that
too lifting up one corner of the keyboard and looking at the way the action
deforms. If the stack is bad it will twist as soon as you lift it, if not
you will not be able to lift more than one inch the corner before the third
left of the action moves , anyway you can see that with a flashlight too.

If the whippen are original, the springs are generally not strong enough to
modern parts even with 17 mm roller.

Hope it helps, check the shimming on a few notes and see if enough up weight
and spring force remains.

I've find the round bushing felt quality under the keys to be of primary
importance (as the checking) for the global perception of the piano. I use
Steinway original large bushings or Yamaha ones, all the other makes I have
are not large enough and too mushy.

With best regards.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG