pianotech-digest V2002 #89

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:29:47 -0800

> All,
> A comment was made, "I can see no justification for raising the
pitch....."
> I will give ONE very strong reason: EAR TRAINING. If some continue to
leave
> pianos "where they are", etc, for little Johnny to practice on, we will
> never get rid of the horrible phenomenon of "Tin Ears".

Whether it's true or not, I have sold more pitch raises with the comment,
"Do you want your kids to sing like Johnny Cash?"  My apologies to Mr. Cash.
It does seem like he starts out flat and comes up to the pitch which, to me,
would indicate learning with pianos of all different tunings, none of them
the same. Of course Frank Sinatra sings that way (according to my Grandma, a
Piano teacher) so whose going to argue with success.
Keith R.