Removing Black Marker From Keytops

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:54:03 -0700

Hey, Devlon

    I wrote about this very thing to the Journal. Funny, I don't really
remember when they published it. I ran across the same thing, like we all
do, and the solution I came up with worked better than I ever thought it
would.
    What I did was take some paste silver polish, ( like David Love
suggested) Wright's is what I used, and I put it in an empty 35mm plastic
film container. Then you want to add as much bleach as possible without
making it runny. I figure one of those containers half full with about 12 to
16 drops of bleach. Mix it up, and use an extra treble hammer dipped in it,
just like you would an eraser on the key top. Leave it sit until you get to
the end of the keyboard, then go back to the end that you started on, using
a barely damp cloth, wipe each key clean. Like I said, I was surprised at
how well it worked. I cleaned the entire keyboard with it in about fifteen
minutes, when I thought it was going to take me an hour or more. It went
into the keys after the pigment. Could depend on the type of ink, I suppose,
but it worked for me.
    Let me know how it works for you, OK?

January 13, 2002 12:33 PM
Subject: Removing Black Marker From Keytops