my own Soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:59:57 -0500

I taking a long shot here, but - I think finger joints are only =
appropriate at end grain joints. That way the long direction of the =
grain goes into the fingers and all is strong. If you finger joint =
perpendicular to the grain, you have little fingers whose edges cut =
across that grain and the fingers have no strength. My suspicion is that =
a finger joint used to glue up planks of spruce for a soundboard would =
have no significant strength increase over a straight, flat-cut joint. A =
finger joint may be a good thing if good spruce gets so scarce that our =
four or six-inch wide planks are not available in five-foot lengths!

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 11:23 AM
  Subject: Re: my own Soundboard

  In a message dated 1/12/2002 9:52:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, =
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

        Gregg writes

    .=20
        I thought that tongue and groove might be a good idea long =
before I heard about it here. Lately I've been day dreaming about finger =
joints. Any feelings on how that might work in a soundboard situation? =
It seems that a finger joint would offer more surface area than a tongue =
and groove. Call me a ponderer.=20
        I would love to here from=20

              Greg -Finger joints will not work. Even the tongue and =
groove joints must be positioned towards the bottom side of the panel so =
that they are not exposed while diaphramizing.=20
          If you've not ever tried to make a straight line over large =
lengths of wood then I must tell you how difficult it is even for the =
best woodworkers.
        Dale=20