Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 18:37:56 0000

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:53:40
 Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>At 1:47 AM -0800 12/19/01, Robin Hufford wrote:
>>>In the interests of  amicable discussion I would have to say however that
>>>as the members of this list are at least able to operate computers and are,
>>>evidently, literate, it is not likely  they misconstrue what an
>>>accelerometer is
>>>or what it can do although in point of fact the  motion itself is not what is
>>>measured but rather the time rate of change of velocity...
>>

>>I'm afraid, Robin, that likelihood is very real indeed!  It really
>>does appear that they think it is measuring bodily movement,
>>fantastic though you and I find that.
>>
>>JD
>
>Apparently so. I certainly don't see that it is logically reconcilable that
>a body can experience a change in velocity at a measurable rate without
>having moved.
>
>Ron N

Right.  This is like saying we were talking about force and everyone knows
you can't measure force with a strain gauge.  OK, strictly speaking, that's
right.  A strain gauge measures strain.  But the presence of strain indicates
the presence of force.  I hope this bogged down thread isn't going to bog
down further in discussions of semantics.

Phil F