Chickering Damper Wires

Pianotoone@AOL.COM Pianotoone@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:12:51 EST

Hi List and Happy New Year

Today I was called to replace some damper felts on a small Chickering Grand.

When I pulled the action I discovered the damper wires were screwed into the
jacks (blocks) with what appeared to be a little drop of glue where the wire
entered the jack.  No amount of head scratching could help me determine how
to remove the wires.  All grands I have worked on have had little screws
holding the damper wires into the jacks.

The archives listed one instance where the whole set wwas removed from the
piano (Susan Kline) and replaced with an APSCO part.  BUT the piano was
unstrung.  Another writer mentioned that Les Smith had a technique but I
couldn't find it in the archives

Any advice???

Thanks

Dick Day