Speed Tuning/ analogy

Robin Stevens pianotun@bigpond.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:02:48 +1030

Hi List.
For years I used to take 90 minutes plus, for a standard tuning...but then I
found that by concentrating on two movements of the hammer,..pulling it
slightly over the pitch and then a careful lowering to just above the
required setting, and finally the last bit by hard finger blows, setting the
pin....(I think that a piano tuned in 15-20 minutes would not have the pins
set properly at all!)

Now my standard tuning is 45-55 minutes.
I think it is a case of eliminating the unnecessary up and down movements of
the hammer.

PS.If I am doing a pitch raise with strings of a unknown piano I will lower
the string first to break any adhesion it might have had with the pressure
bar, or whatever.

Robin Stevens
Port Pirie South Australia
pianotun@bigpond.com