tuning speed

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:42:30 +0100

Stephen Airy wrote:

> Ok, so 2 passes is always better than one.
>
> Here's part of my question -- when a piano is, within,
> say, 2 or 3 cents, is one pass OK?  Or, what is the
> max it can be off before two passes is recommended?
>
> Also, what is the farthest flat for a piano to be
> before you all might recommend three passes (one up to
> pitch with no overpull, second with overpull, third
> fine tune)?  Also, is there ever any case where
> someone would recommend four or more passes?  (We'll
> assume that the pinblock and bridges are in fair
> condition (good enough to take a pitch raise).)

I dunno guys... I always tune with 2 overlapping passes and a final
quick pass to just double check every thing. I use 6 mutes for the
temperement area and for the most part just two for the rest of the
piano. I sort of "spread out" upwards and downwards, and am typically
done in about 50 minutes. Depends a bit on how picky I want to get, and
how many interval matching problems I run into... like false beats of
various sorts and the like.

I am not sure that its possible to say that this way or that way is
always better or more efficient. Depends on the tuner more then anything
else I would think.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.