Steinway C

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:54:09 -0800

  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 9:13 PM
  Subject: Re: Steinway C

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Joseph Alkana=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: January 12, 2002 9:52 PM

    Ron,
    Gee Ron, Have you ever heard a decent C from Steinway NY? I'm =
impressed with your skill and knowledge level, but the piano I tuned =
was, to use a trite but true phrase, awesome! The transition over the =
break was noticeable, but not offensive, just a different character. =
Also, I was sure that the piano was a tad over seven feet, but perhaps I =
was wrong, Next time (I hope!) I plan to take some string data =
measurements and check the piano a little more closely. Quite frankly, I =
had a chance to listen up close for quite a lengthy time to a Fazioli =
9'2"and I do believe that C would have blown the Fazioli away.
    Joseph Alkana  RPT
    josephspiano@attbi.com

  The NY Model C scale is fairly unusual for a piano of its =
size--approximately 224 to 225 cm (7' 4" to 7' 4 1/2")--in that it uses =
a fairly low tension throughout. I happen to like this scaling and I =
like the NY Model C. Any deficiencies that exist at the break can be =
dealt with by using a 5-note transition bridge using bi-chord wrapped =
strings.=20

  These scales do not like hard, dense hammers and they will never match =
a Yamaha in 'power.' As long as the hammers are kept appropriate to the =
piano (and as long as the soundboard keeps on working) it will go on =
being a wonderfully dynamic and beautiful piano. Just don't expect it to =
fill a 3,000 seat auditorium with pseudo-piano sounds. What kind of =
room/hall is this piano located in?

  Del=20