Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:14:37 -0800

Charles,
      Others may have said that their view of my position is that perfect
rigidity is the point at issue.  Should my posts be read  carefully, you will
find that I have never maintained this; of course, in the real world this is
impossible and is but a contrivance of analysis.  The point I have grown very
weary of maintaining is that this motion is not responsible for the periodic
behavior of the soundboard system.
     The book by Den Hartog, as well as the others are by no means rudimentary
therefore, I ask in the interests of intellecual completeness, how does you
criticism apply overall?  And what does it suggest?  You yourself make the
point I have made many times, quoting "the terminations need to be.....well,
rigid enough to support standing waves."   This level of rigidity is such that
they cannot be moving the bridge/board at the frequencies contained in the
vibrating string which is driving them.
Regards. Robin Hufford