Chickering Damper Wires

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:40:09 -0500

At 04:00 PM 1/14/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Dick --
>
>I'll send you Les's post, which is a classic and complete treatment
>of threaded damper wires and how to deal with them. The drop of glue
>you are seeing is burnt shellac. (Shellac thickened by burning off
>some of the alcohol.)
>
>I think that turning the heads off the wires, replacing the felt,
>and turning them back on (then adding a spot of hide glue or burnt
>shellac) sounds like the best and least laborious method. You may
>need to turn some of the wires up or down, depending on the difference
>in thickness of your felt to the old felt.
>
>Susan

Chickering's threaded dampers are not all that hard to deal with. Les'
discourse will shed some light.

I would remove the wire from the top flange rather than unscrew the head to
replace the felt so as not
to loosen the wire's hold in the head and to polish the wire.

An there is no need for pyrotechnics if you have shellac flakes, just mix
up a _real_thick batch.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.