my own Soundboard

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:04:20 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 14, 2002 2:50 PM
  Subject: Re: my own Soundboard

  Oh Del, do elucidate before I mercilessly butcher some poor =
unsuspecting tree. ;-) Seriously, I don't want to waste wood. What will =
happen with a finger joint in Sitka. BTW where can I get some Sitka?=20
  Greg=20

If you're considering fingerjoints to butt two pieces of the stuff =
together the right type of finger joint will work. But I assume you're =
talking about edge gluing here.=20

Sitka spruce is pretty nasty stuff to machine cleanly when you get down =
to small thicknesses and shapes. With any edge shape as extreme as a =
fingerjoint of normal slope would result in the wood peeling, stripping =
out, compressing, breaking off, and otherwise generally =
self-destructing.

And jointing of this type is also unnecessary. The flat edge gluing =
(assuming properly prepared surfaces) of vertical grain boards is about =
as strong a joint as you're going to get. Using any reasonable adhesive =
the flat face-to-face joint is going to be stronger than the wood =
itself. So, any shape you use is going to be there for other reasons. In =
this case it is for board alignment. These are pretty long boards to =
work with and we're trying to edge-glue a fairly large panel here. The =
joint shape--of whatever type--is there only to aid us in aligning the =
boards so that we can use thinner stock at the time of lay-up leaving us =
with less to thickness plane and/or sand away.

The biggest problem with any joint shape is that when we thin out the =
edges (assuming this is done in some area, usually around the bass end =
of the board) and cut into the joint shape the glueline takes a twist. =
If the edge shape is abrupt this can be some unsightly.

Del