Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:54:22 +0100

Charles Neuman wrote:

> Richard brought up some questions about modes of the soundboard and many
> other related topics. Has someone brought up the "five lectures" yet? I
> don't think this answers all of your questions, but I ran across this,
> which is part of the "five lectures":
>
> http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/conklin/howdoes.html
>
> There are some other interesting things in these lectures, too, related to
> this discussion.
>
> Charles

Thanks Charles. I refer to these quite a bit and I am glad to see you are
aware of them.  I found for myself that it took me 3 or 4 readings before I
started sorting out fairly clearly where each of the articles were really
going.  We have brought up this discussion of modal analysis a few times, and
talked briefly about these in relation to sound board impedance questions, but
I don't think we have really gotten into if and how they play an active roll
in producing sound.

Some of the Violin stuff I have read so far seems to point in a direction of
these modes being some kind of ... what... "basis resonance framework" which
the string resonances are sort of superimposed on... ?Perhaps that's clumsily
worded. But like I say I have to read a few times through before I think I am
sure of what's being said in these kinds of articles.

Sure... a good understanding of the 5 lectures should help anyone interested
in this.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.