Chickering Dampers

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:18:51 EST

Hello Dick,

Dick, do yourself a favor, the piano a favor, the owner a favor and future
technicians a favor with the following procedure.

Unscrew the damper wires from the underlevers.

Beef up the underlevers at the top where the wires go in with thin CA glue.

Bore the damper wire holes slightly larger.

Drill a hole in front of the underlevers, then install a set screw, (upright
damper block set screw).

Install damper wires, setting them in the normal fashion, then tighten set
screw.

I am at this time doing a 1850s Collard & Collard with vellum hinges and I
will be using this method.  The time line is about two hours or less after
the dampers are out.

I do lots of this type of damper systems and this procedure has worked like a
charm for at least 40 years.

Hope this helps.
Jack Wyatt