Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:51:42 +0100

Robin Hufford wrote:

> I did, perhaps, exceed the bounds of good taste when, in
> public,  I labeled those of the contrary view, "Ripple Theorists" and was chided
> for having done so by him.   Conceding to Richard's reprimand I will now content
> myself merely with the term "Rock and Rollers".

Grin... and Rock and Rollers is supposed to be an improvement ?? ...hehhe.. actually,
having some insight to a bit of American Wine making trivia I am not sure which term
is more amusing. But then not all share my sense of humor.

Btw.. I used the term "fantastic" in a neutral contorted sense. I am the first to
admit that my present level of knowledge does not allow me to ascertain which of these
two basic camps best represents the true nature of things. And my own thoughts at
present seem to go off in a third...perhaps middle direction.  I cant say I know that
the notion that the bridge and sound board moving in a strictly transverse motion
accounts for the sound we hear is correct or not. But I CAN say that the transfer of
all string harmonics to the sound board assembly is truly a "fantastic" phenomena when
one first starts to think upon it all. Regardless of how it actually is accomplished.

Also... back to the discussion at hand. It would appear that there is a fundamental
difference in views about what the concepts of "motion" and "vibratory motion" are all
about.  Or what ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.