my own Soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:57:39 -0500

So then you are gluing up your 24" subpanels after they have been planed =
to the soundboard's final thickness (not counting edge tapering)? Can =
one edge glue accurately enough to get a real even subpanel-to-subpanel =
joint (no step from one to the other)? I was envisioning gluing up a =
whole soundboard panel that was thicker than needed and then (after =
driving the panel to a shop with BIG sanders/planers) running the whole =
thing through a planer device to get your nice consistent final (before =
tapering) thickness. If I am understanding your process, you do the =
above on your smaller subpanels, but then when you have glued your =
subpanels together, you do any slight evening up by a hand plane or =
sanding (or maybe even that is not needed?)? Thanks.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 1:19 AM
  Subject: Re: my own Soundboard

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Greg Newell=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: January 15, 2002 3:56 PM

    Thanks Del. I was still talking about edge gluing. I would not =
advocate joining two pieces end to end in a soundboard situation. Never =
crossed my mind.=20

  Why not? I'm planning on doing it on a piano I'm remanufacturing for =
myself. It's been done quite successfully in the past. I'll not be using =
a finger joint, however. I haven't quite decided what to use.

    Has anyone ever tried gluing up 2 boards first, then adding one at a =
time until the desired panel size is achieved?=20
  We glue up sub-panels that are less than 24" wide (so we can still run =
them through our thickness planer) and then glue up the final panel.

  Once you get started you will undoubtedly come up with your own ideas. =
There is no one 'right' way to do this stuff. Just a bunch of acceptable =
to good ways.

  Del