Soundboard 60-ft. Arc

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:47:50 -0600

> On a five-foot span I get 0.63 inches of crown.
>This seems excessive (isn't an unstressed new board supposed to have about
>1/4" - 3/8" of crown in the middle?).

Your crown height for 60' radius is right by my figures, but how long a rib
do you plan on having in a piano? That's what cutoff bars are for. The
compression crowned boards ended up averaging about XX crown at XX length
(varying widely with material choice and methods) as a consequence of the
crowning process rather than a design criteria. With rib crowning, you are
granted the opportunity to make your own decision and build to a much
closer spec. It's supposed to be whatever you find works to your
satisfaction with all the other dozens of factors considered in your
soundboard design, string scaling, bridge configuration, loading, etc. Nor
is it particularly necessary or (to some builders) desirable to have the
same crown radius throughout the rib scale.

>Or is it that on the rib-crowned
>board, you cut the rib to the aforementioned arc, glue it to the board in a
>caul of the same arc, and when removed from the caul the naturally flat
>board help the assembly to straighten out a bit to where it has the
>"?normal?" 1/4" - 3/8" of crown?

Panels are still dried down before assembly in a rib crowned board, just
not as much as with compression crowning, so the panel is still under some
compression, and still helps support crown rather than dragging it back down.

>Am I making a boo-boo somehow with my drawing?
>
>Terry Farrell

Nope, but there are a few assumptions behind it that you need to decide
whether or not to accept. <G>

Ron N