Key replacement

Delton, Jr. Eason dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:39:29 -0800 (PST)

I need some thoughts and/or suggestions on keytop
replacement.

I have a client with a Kimball upright that has had
the keys replaced previously.  The individual doing
the work used keytops with fronts. They also glued in
a "wood spacer" about 1/8" thick to the top of the
keys before gluing on the keytops with fronts.  The
spacer was also added to the black keys as well.

Now, the little "lip" is chipped and broken off on
everyone of the keys.

What is the best way to remove either just the
keytops, do I need to remove the keytops and the
fronts, or should I be wise and send them off to have
them done?

I would appreciate a personal response as I subscribe
to the pianotech-digest.

Thanks.

D.

=====
D. Eason, Jr.
Eason's Piano/Pipe Organ Tuning and Repair
Helena, MT
dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com