Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:35:25 +1100

>In the meantime, please tell me Richard, why Sitka spruce is so
>highly regarded as a sounboard wood and why Douglas fir would not be
>better.
>
>JD

Because Sitka has the highest modulus of elasticity, relative to its
density, of any of the spruces. This is why it was also the preferred
spruce for aircraft construction.

Interestingly, when used for aircraft construction it was recommended
that the drying kilns not be run over 60 degress C, otherwise, it was
claimed that the strength of the seasoned product would be
compromised for use in an aeronautical application.

This has always made me wonder just how much potentially good Sitka
has been seasoned at over 60 degress C for piano sound boards. Could
this be a causal agent of sound board degradation in some of those
failed boards which appear to be made of good material? What about
boards which are cured with microwaves, how hot do they get during
the cure?

Ron O.
--

        OVERS PIANOS