Accelerometers, etc.

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:21:29 -0800

=20
Recently the following statement appeared in one of the posts on =
soundboards:
=93An accelerometer transduces variations in pressure to a voltage.=94 =20

This statement is somewhat misleading and has bothered me for a couple =
of days now. There are a variety of sensors used in industry. Those =
sensors commonly known as pressure sensors are transducers designed to =
convert gas or liquid pressure into an electrical signal and this is =
some removed from the function of an accelerometer.=20

Force sensors are transducers designed to convert force=97and the word =
pressure could also be used here=97into an electrical signal. So are =
load cells but these are typically designed to detect static loads. You =
might find a load cell in your bathroom scale or in the truck scale =
along side the road. Force sensors are designed to measure and monitor =
changing levels of compression and tension and impact forces=97i.e., =
dynamic loads. The electric piano I referred to some time ago used a =
number of force sensors mounted between a more-or-less conventional =
bridge and a slightly compliant base. The vibrating strings caused =
variations in the force applied to the force sensors which then created =
an electrical signal that was processed and sent to amplifiers and =
speakers. To approximate the tone of the acoustic piano the compliant =
base was necessary to allow the bridge assembly to move in response to =
the motion of the vibrating strings in approximately the same way it =
moves in the acoustical piano.

And now we get to accelerometers. Accelerometers are transducers or =
sensors that convert the acceleration aspect of motion into an =
electrical signal for measurement, monitoring and control purposes. The =
signal produced by the accelerometer is proportional (within the design =
limits of the sensor) to the rate of acceleration. When used to detect =
acceleration in a vibrating body or system the accelerometers signal can =
also be electronically integrated to indicate both the velocity and =
displacement of the vibrating object.

In principle accelerometers are quite simple. They consist of a base, a =
slice of piezoelectric material=97usually quartz or an artificially =
polarized ferroelectric ceramic=97and a seismic mass. The crystal is =
placed between the base and the seismic mass. When the assembly is set =
in motion the seismic mass (wishing to remain stationary) induces a =
mechanical stress in the crystal which causes it to generate an =
electrical charge across its pole faces. This electrical charge is =
proportional to the applied force. Obviously this charge is generated =
only when there is acceleration. When the accelerometer has achieved =
some steady state=97whether that be stationary or at some steady =
velocity=97there is no electrical charge generated.

Accelerometers do not measure or indicate force or pressure. Force or =
pressure applied to any part of an accelerometer will have no effect on =
its output unless there is some acceleration involved. Or, I suppose, if =
the force is great enough to cause physical damage to the accelerometer =
housing in which case there will be some signal output but it may be =
quite brief.

When appropriately mounted to the top of a vibrating body=97such as the =
bridge of a piano as it is being played=97an accelerometer will produce =
an electrical signal proportional to the physical vibratory motion of =
the bridge at the mounting point of the accelerometer. Since =
accelerometers are unidirectional they indicate acceleration (or =
velocity or displacement) in only one direction. Most tests I have done =
on the mobility of the bridge/soundboard assembly have involved studying =
the vertical motion (in a grand) of the bridge. Usually this involved =
mounting the accelerometer just beside the note in question. To measure =
the for-and-aft motion of the bridge the accelerometer is simply turned =
on its side so its axis is aligned in the direction you want to =
investigate. (Or you can spend a small fortune and purchase a triaxial =
accelerometer.

There are several ways to mount an accelerometer on a test object. The =
least destructive is to simply glue it in place. The glue can be as =
benign as beeswax or as intrusive as some epoxy or CA adhesive. In =
trying to figure out the motion of the agraffe, a CA adhesive was used =
to mount an accelerometer to the top of a prepared agraffe (the top had =
been milled flat to provide a good mounting surface for the =
accelerometer). I=92ve used beeswax to temporarily bond accelerometers =
to the tops of bridges=97removing the strings from one adjacent unison =
usually provides enough room=97and in various places around the rim and =
structure. I=92ve also used studs screwed into holes drilled into the =
bridge between unisons such that the accelerometer ended up locked down =
tight with its base just above the strings. This lowered the resonant =
frequency of the accelerometer some but (according to the manufacturer) =
not enough to worry about for the tests I had in mind. Magnetic bases =
are available from most accelerometer manufacturers but I=92ve not used =
them. When looking at vibrations in plates I=92ve simply glued the =
accelerometer to the plate surface using beeswax.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA