Sound waves(another experiment)

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:45:32 +0100

Ok... heres another.

Tuning fork, and a 2" by 6' by 1.5' knotty pine plank mounted in a kitchen as a
counter top.

Bang the fork on the knee and place on the top, then the bottom , then the side.
Note the difference in volume in each case. The side position yeilds the least
volume where as the other two are about the same. Then do the same with one ear
firmly pressed to the top of the plank and the other ear plugged so you cant hear
from it. Note the loudness of the sound produced in each case as before.

My ears told me in the second case that the top and bottom placement of the fork
was just as loud as before, where as the side placement was almost as loud as
these first to.

I want to get a contact microphone and a regular microphone and see if this is
borne out or not in actual decibles, but assuming for the moment that it is... how
is this explained ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.