Painted String Rendering

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:29:31 -0500

I tuned a 1940s Baldwin L today. It has always been a nasty piano to tune.
Today was no exception. Especially in the upper tenor. You pull up a bit, no
change in pitch, pull a bit more, no change, pull a bit more and BOING you
are 20 cents sharp. Lube the heck out of the felt and agraffe with Protek.
No change. After staring at it a while I realized that some clown had pained
the plate and of course painted the agraffes. The felt areas and other
string areas with no plate below were taped off, but all the string segments
with plate below were painted gold. So now after a few decades of pulling
the strings a little tighter each time, I suspect we now have the painted
section inside the agraffe - and I think that is causing the rendering
problem. Does this make sense? Strings have a fair bit of corrosion on them
also. I had never run into such a stubborn case like this.

Sounds like we have a good reason to restring. Yes?

Terry Farrell