Steinway console scale

Les Conover locolesco@yahoo.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:06:37 -0800 (PST)

Hello, List,
    I have a 1939 Steinway console to restring.  The
plate has the scale on it, as usual, and I know the
common wisdom is to use it.  Steinway's manual has
quite a different scale for the console.  After
analyzing both scales I don't like either one for this
piano.  They both have areas of really low tension
and, for a console, really high tension.  Does anybody
know if, when Steinway changed the scale, they also
redesigned the curve of the long bridge?  I know this
is the lowliest of Steinways, but I'd like to make the
best of it.
    Thanks, Les Conover