bridge repair resolution...SUCCESS!

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:28:30 EST

Thanks to those who helped with advice on bridge repair, the patient has
survived!  Normal tone has returned to the bass section, and the piano is up
to A415 at this point.  Happily, this little experiment has succeeded and in
the client's household, I am the hero.

Don Bee, at our recent monthly meeting of the Chicago chapter of PTG, called
me "fearless".  Maybe so.  I had never done this repair before, but I did
consult several techs for advice in addition to fishing for tips on the list.
 There's a first time for everything, and this was a good situation to try
something new.  (No pianists in the house, free piano.)  They originally
contacted me to evaluate the piano:  throw it out or keep it?  For a minimal
investment, they now have a piano.  It will serve the two children well, as
they start piano lessons.

Sponsored by my PTG chapter,  Alan Vincent is holding an all day technical
workshop in March, and half the day will deal with bridge repairs.  I am
planning to attend; next time I face this situation I will be a bit more
informed and will have a smidgeon of experience behind me.

Thanks again to all who offered advice.

Tom Sivak