my own Soundboard

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:18:23 -0500

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:

> .   Hi Terry ,Stephen, Gerg

OK, so I finally get the one "g" at the end of my name but now you
crossed the letters in between the G's :)

>    The one thing that Stepen did not emphasize is  the importance of
> getting the back of the panel very,VERY flat so there are no voids
> under your rib joints that would compromise the glue surface.
>     The sanding idea you have is fine . It is amazing how much
> flattening that can be accomplished with a variety of sanding devices.
>
>   Even with finely tuned up low angle plane it is still possible to
> get some very ugly tearout. I'm guessing Stephen has more time in on
> that one than I do. I'm wondering how he mitigates that.
>     By the way I experiemented with surfacing  some long pieces of
> spruce(5 to6ft.)
>   last night. It ain't so easy. I glued 3 pieces together and got one
> perfect joint and one with some very small voids. I'm guessing I could
> get it set up with more sophistication if I chose. If you wish I'll
> share the rudimentary details later.
>    So tell me again why is it that you and Greg are so determined to
> spend thousands of dollars in time and money to make one or two
> soundboards when you can order a couple premade panels for 1k and
> before you learn and refine the REST of the process? There is so much
> to juggle.

Have toys ..... must play!!!!

Seriously though, I'm not figuring at stopping at one or 2 and it just
seems like too much money tied up in shipping time and again for each
board I desire to do. Just seems illogical to me. All the board
manufacturers are doing is edge gluing spruce. I figure i can do that
and save a ton of money in the long run. Since I have to attach bridges
and ribs anyway, making a board is not that much more.

>      Don't get me wrong I've explored and been intrigued by the panel
> making thing too and came to the conclusion that for me it's more
> expedient and cost effective to order premade panels at least at this
> time.
>      Best

Maybe you're closer and shipping isn't that much for you. I read a post
where you said your last order was 10 boards (I think). If your really
sure that you'll use them that's really great for you. The things I
contemplate buying are for any type of woodwork I may have to do. I
still plan on constructing all kitchen and bathroom cabinets for my
house (and I use that term loosely) and much of the furniture I will
have in it. I'm NOT sure I'll have that many more soundboards to do. I
hope I will but that seems so up in the air until I gain the experience
I need. Anyway, That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Greg
--
Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net