Squares & Bird-Cages part 2

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:09:20 -0800

Other "lovely" features were wooden action frames with wood ends. Even
though most manufacturers were using cast metal brackets with wood rails,
the wood "brackets" were cheaper to make, I suspect. The action rails were
also different, in that the flanges mounted differently and were usually
made from lesser woods. The keys were made from who-knows-what and often
have a tendancy to warp.The key fronts were usually made of bone up until
the celluloid fronts were cheap enough to employ. Once celluloid was
established as a cheap material, the tops were made of that. Who cares if
celluloid is extremely flammable and is "wavy". The key beds and frames were
often made of what I would classify as "scrap", fit only for the wood stove.
    With all that I have said, so far, most of you are probably asking "If
he knows all this, why does he even consider working on them?" Well, there
is a bit of the "romantic" in me that motivates me. When I have finally
coaxed one of these instruments into a state of being in tune, I find that
the sound is graceful and delicate. Most of the "damper problems" seem to be
in the "background" of the overall sound. Also, I have found that Historic
Temperaments have a new meaning when applied to these instruments. Which
leads me to believe that Historical, (Histerical), Temperaments do not
"belong" on Modern Instruments.
    It is true that these instruments were, (for the most part), made during
the period of time when the pitch standard was A=435cps. However, I have
found that the majority of these, in my data base, are tuned to Standard
440cps with no ill effects. The main reason I choose to work on these
instruments is: It does no one any good to patently dismiss these
instruments as "junk". The person who owns a Square Grand or Bird-Cage
piano, looks at it as simply a "piano". If they are made to feel like an
idiot or leper, because they happen to own "one of those things", it goes
against the image of our industry and only puts us all in a dubious light.
(No one likes to be told that they made a foolish, or worse, stupid
purchase. A case in point: Several months ago, I responded to a lady in the
South West who owns a Bird-Cage. She had been told that her instrument was
junk, it probably needed to be rebuilt or sold or given away. She was told
all of this by technicians that had not even seen her piano! I finally got
in touch with a technician who was at least willing to go to her home and
inspect the piano. Then he was to report back to me, the findings of the
piano's condition. If it needed shop work, etc., then I intended to talk to
the client and find out her priorities, etc.
Just yesterday, I recieved a call from the technician. He reported that the
piano looked just fine, condition-wise, and he was making another visit to
tune it. He was very pleased in the pianos condition and was very positive
that the client/piano could be put into a good frame of mind, (tuned). All
this took several months, emails and phone calls. If a more positive
attitude of the origianal technicians had been in place, this customer would
not think that I and the other technician are God and the rest are a bunch
of idiots. (Customer's words). And, the customer would have had the piano,
in tune, for Christmas. (Which was the original intent.)
    I submit all this to all of you, in the hopes of your re-assessing your
attitude towards these instruments. Yes, they are different. Yes, they are
difficult to work on. Yes, it takes more time to accomplish an even
moderately favorable result. Yes, they do not sound like what you are "Used
to". But, I submit that with practice and a positive attitude, you will gain
stature, knowlege and a great sense of accomplishment when working on these
"cranky critters".
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
P.S.