my own Soundboard

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:34:00 +0000

At 8:06 PM -0500 1/18/02, Greg Newell wrote:
>John,
>     What are "the deals" in your sentence " He planes (with a shooting
>plane of course) the edges of the deals very slightly convex so that
>when they are glued up, the board takes on a crown along the length
>and the finished
>article is more dome-like than bridge-like."
>     Are these the ribs spoken of in our American english :-)? If so it
>very much has been mentioned in the topic of rib crowning boards and I
>would dearly love to hear how your friend does it!

Sorry, I've just looked up "deal" in Webster's and it seems its
"Brit." usage only. in talking of fir and pine etc. it signifies a
length or plank.  We talk of a deal table in the kitchen, meaning a
table of pine made up of lengths of pine butted together like a
soundboard.

I might be able to get down to see him some time this summer and
persuade him to give me a demo.

As to the crown in the other direction, I'll quote from Wolfenden,
writing in 1916:

   "Modern practice all over the world, aims to put the board itself
into a state of compression, to that it is constantly acting to
assist the bars [belly bars = American: ribs] to do their duty.
   The writer's own formula is: Arch the bars to about the usual
curvature [60 ft radius], keep the board warm at say 100° to 120° F.
for a few hours to shrink it.
   Place it on a frame or board hollowed out a trace deeper than the
curve of the bars, and while the board is hot, glue the bars down.
   When the pressure is released, the rounding will be greater than
the original curvature of the bars, and the board in a considerable
state of compresssion, which it will retain and which will increase a
little.
   The backs of the bars which by this process become a little hollow
in the length, are afterwards planed straight.
   The whole structure thus becomes a highly elastic spring"

For gluing the belly bars, I'd forget about clamps and pneumatic
arrangements.  Good old go-bars are fast and efficient and you can
easily construct a gluing press that can be quickly dismantled when
you're not using it.  Some of the German makers have invested
millions in fancy machinery for special tasks but there are cheap and
efficient traditional ways of doing almost everything.  All the
finishing work on the bars is done with a hand plane and good
pre-1914 chisels.

I'll write an article one day on sharpening knives, chisels and plane
irons so that you can shave with then and tell you a story of how I
was too clever by half when demonstrating these skills to an
apprentice!

JD