Cordier temperament & tempered octaves

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:03:11 +0100

Following the instructions I tried to realize the EBVT today, find a
temperament a little crude and glossy (these are positives thoughts).

Not sure I have obtained the correct result, but it gives some contrast in
the keys and give the piano (Kaway RX2 , new) the impression to have
something interesting in it .

I  did not find really shocking tonalities, but I am not sure I understand
the explanations about the 2d inversion of the major triad in the first
white keys . May I understand that the minor third will beat as the major
sixth in these keys (C G D A E B F).? If yes I don't see how to hear fast
beating minor thirds going up in the scale.

I am persuaded that any uninteresting piano as many actual ones will benefit
of these kind of temperament. May be only good pianos may be tuned in ET, as
what I heard of good pianos tuned in H.T makes the piano sound like if it
was older ( a little used).

Not sure I can explain what I feel there. I understand too that the kind of
tone you have in US pianos will accept more easily the HT than European
instruments . If a piano have yet character, it may be exaggerated to add
more contrast with a slightly uneven temperament.

Beside, I totally agree that I find boring to try to tune absolutely perfect
even chromatic progressions, and that it does not have much to do with
music.

A big advantage I feel there is to tune using the cycle of fifths is that it
oblige you to be aware of color and musicality of the result.

Cordier temperament for me is not really a temperament, only a method , as
it does not take in account the differences between pianos it does not work
in its theorical form always.

EBVT (I will try it again) may well be much appreciated by musicians.

I've find the black keys very nice, white keys a bit exaggerate sometime
(crude), but I was happy of what I find.

Thanks

Isaac OLEG