my own Soundboard/Go Bar Question?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:44:25 -0500

I can't imagine it make all that much difference what you use - some =
nice clear hardwood. I have heard many using maple. I had a bunch of red =
oak and made up a bunch of bars. My bars are around four feet long and =
range from about 3/4" x 3/4" to 1" x 1" maybe some are a tad bigger. I =
suppose you don't want to use some kind of wood that splinters easily - =
although I don't know what those might be.

Just make sure the piano below is secure to the ground. (This is =
embarrassing what follows.) The first time I used them, it was to put =
some pressure on a bass bridge and some spruce shims on a soundboard. I =
had the piano on a cart (with nice easy rolling wheels) - need I say =
more? Fortunately not too many nicks in the top edge of the rim as about =
25 go-bars went dancing to the floor!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 3:39 PM
  Subject: Re: my own Soundboard/Go Bar Question?

  In a message dated 1/19/2002 2:38:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj:RE: my own Soundboard=20
    Date:1/19/2002 2:38:26 AM Pacific Standard Time
    From:oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

              Isaac

                In the states we use hickory or pecan which is a similar =
species. I think I read that a good strong go- bar will apply somewhere =
in the neighborhood of 75 to 100lbs. of pressure. When I used go-bars I =
also used a caul on the top of the rib to help distribute pressure.

            Dale Erwin

    .

    That is mostly a good plank fixed on your ceiling.

    What is the wood of choice for go-bars, and is there a method to =
ascertain
    the pressure of it ?

    Regards.

    Isaac OLEG