Soundboard Pre-Stressing/Downbearing, was: Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:54:13 EST

In a message dated 1/20/2002 8:20:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Soundboard Pre-Stressing/Downbearing, was: Baldwin accu-hitch pins
> Date:1/20/2002 8:20:04 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> prestress the board, cut your notches in a few key areas, remove everything
> and plane down the bridge, mark, drill, notch, etc... On a new board some
> do this with a dry fit, before the glue in the board itself.  That way the
> planing, drilling, pinning and notching can be done outside the piano where
> there is more comfortable access.

<>>>>>>The dry fit procedure intruduces some degree of variance as the board
isn't really held tightly to its final gluing surface and the rib ends can
still move. However I do it this way and have learned to mitigate the flux
factor. I'm getting to old to crawl up in the belly of a piano on my knees to
notch a bridge for a hour or so. the bench is easier.
                   Dale Erwin