Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:33:50 -0800

Dale, Carl, et al,

As I understand it, the vertical hitchpin arrangement was developed as a =
manufacturing expediency. It enables the manufacture of the bridge =
assembly-including drilling, notching and pinning-prior to anything =
being fitted to the piano. The finished bridge is simply glued to the =
soundboard and the whole assembly is then glued into the piano. The =
plate elevation is set to the bridge using the threaded bolt system =
concurrently developed with the hitchpin system. String bearing, i.e., =
soundboard loading, is then established by the vertical alignment of the =
strings on the vertical hitch. The vertical hitchpin system by itself =
has nothing to do how much string bearing, or soundboard loading, is =
required or is present. It simply provides a method of adjusting that =
load after the piano is strung.=20

The purpose of string "downbearing" is to place load on the crowned =
soundboard assembly and deflect it from its as-installed condition. =
Considering the soundboard assembly as a large, irregularly shaped disc =
spring, this load provides the piano builder with a means of increasing =
its stiffness without increasing its mass. How much string bearing, =
i.e., string downforce against the bridge, any individual soundboard =
assembly must have for best performance is a function of the soundboard =
design and, to some extent, such factors as the design and shape of the =
rim, the relative tensions of the string scale, the length of the string =
backscale, etc.=20

Mostly, how much loading any specific soundboard must have is a function =
of how massive and how stiff the soundboard assembly is. This is not a =
universal constant. Dale's string deflection numbers would not work all =
for one of our boards. As to whether they would work for one of =
Baldwin's current boards-I can't say. With the Accu-Just system Baldwin =
has used a fairly light crown radius-72' (about 22 m) if I recall =
correctly-machined into the ribs. I believe the rib-to-soundboard press =
cauls are crowned the same. I don't recall the MC of the board at the =
time of ribbing, but I don't recall it being overly dry. Excessive =
will overload it, hence the relatively shallow string deflection angles =
and the traditionally percussive, short sustain, sound. (And I think =
that's 0.5%, 1.0% and 1.5% downforce as a funciton of string tension as =
indicated by 1, 2 or 3 lines of gradation each indicating 17 minutes of =
arc on the Baldwin bubble gage, not 0.5=B0, 1.0=B0 and 1.5=B0 of string =
deflection). Personally, I would load them just a bit more than the =
Baldwin specification calls for always being aware of the relatively =
shallow initial crown specification.=20

If you're replacing a soundboard in a Baldwin-or if you have converted =
some other piano to the vertical hitch pin system-and you're using your =
own standard soundboard design-I would recommend that you use the string =
deflection angles you're already accustomed to. As Ron has indicated, =
you want to end up with the string about 4 to 5 mm off the plate =
surface. You have a bit more leeway with this on a Baldwin plate =
designed to accomodate the vertical hitch; the hitchpin panel has been =
made some thicker to accommodate the additional torsional stress of the =
string riding higher on the pin. Be very careful with other pianos and =
other plates.

Of course, string bearing can be measured and altered after it has been =
set. That is one of the inherent advantages of the system. Why that =
statement would appear in the Baldwin instruction sheet baffles me. What =
you will find, though, is that once you have established some amount of =
string deflection-how much varies with the soundboard design and string =
backscale length-tapping the strings down further won't give you much =
more measurable string deflection. Except at the extreme end of the =
tenor bridge and, sometimes, at the low end of the bass bridge, the =
soundboard will just continue to deflect as you tap the strings down. =
Yes, I know, there should be some noticeable change in the string =
deflection angle, but there won't be. At least none that will be readily =
measurable. Try it and see.=20

Perhaps Baldwin took that approach to keep technicians from continuing =
to tap strings down until they had achieved a condition of permanent =
reverse crown. If so, it didn't work since that is an all-to-common =
problem with the system. I've fielded questions from technicians who =
considered it a matter of poor workmanship to have the strings riding up =
on the hitch and tapped them fully down against the plate surface. =
Ruining the soundboard and any semblance of tone quality in the process, =
of course, but at least the strings were now 'properly' seated.

This is an excellent string termination system, the benefits of which =
extend well beyond manufacturing expediency. I have an idea if it was =
understood some better it would also be used more frequently.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA