Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:03:51 +0000

At 8:17 AM -0600 1/22/02, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>  >Has it occurred to you why he says "tries to drive" ?  If it
>>succeeds, why doesn't he just write "drives..." or "directly
>>drives...", and if it succeeds, what earthly cause or need is there
>>for the bending waves?
>
>Of course it occurred to me. And where might you possibly imagine these
>bending waves to come from if not from the strings moving the bridge?

By a mechanical waves (vibrations caused by compression waves and
bending waves) passing through the bridge and meeting the board at
right angles setting up flexures.

>  >Now I suppose you are going to tell me that the sound-board of the
>>pianoforte moves the wire threaded through the building and the wire
>>threaded through the building moves the resonance-board or violin
>>plate, and that this it does directly.
>
>Of course it does. What would preclude this?
>
>I thought it was inescapably obvious that one moving diaphragm will pull
>and move another connected to it by a taut string. What is the point?

The wire is not taut.  Since you make no distinction between bodily
movement and vibration and seem to have a hearty dislike of anything
to do with waves, I will not proceed and leave you in the realm of
the inescapably obvious where you appear quite content to remain.

JD