Soundboard Press

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:31:31 -0800 (PST)

Regarding indexing and locating and holding ribs
in their proper position for glueup to the
soundboard:

I use bridge pins.

After I've made and fit the ribs to the rim, I
drill a hole and insert a bridge pin into each
end of each rib letting the pointy end stick up
about 1/8", maybe just a little more.

I put some spacers in on top of the ribs and
carefully lay the soundboard on top.  Once the
soundboard is in position, I pull out the spacers
and push the soundboard down onto those bridge
pins making myself some nice indexing holes in
the soundboard.  (I also will go around
underneath and make a few small pencil marks, but
I really wouldn't have to.)

The whole thing is indexed.  The ribs to the rim,
the ribs to the board, the board to the rim.

When I glue the ribs to the panel, I will use the
part that I cut away during feathering and clamp
that over the rib.  (I have to drill a hole for
the bridge pin in the waste piece, but it takes
only a few seconds.  That's where the bridge pin
goes while it's being clamped, right back where
it was when it was sitting in the rim, through
the end of the rib and into the soundboard where
it made it's little hole.)

I'm a bad person.  I don't even bother filling in
the holes.  They're not visible when the
soundboard is installed.

Just one method that works for me.  I'm sure
there are many.

Take care,

Brian T.

--- Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com> wrote:
> >Ron,
> >    try some thick foam tape at appropriate
> spots.  You'll find it easy to
> >remove after the cauls are removed and almost
> never any residue to clean up.
> >
> >Dale Fox
>

> I'll give it a try Dale. Thanks.
>
> Ron N