On the course of discussion

Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:30:48 +0100

> I don't think that the conventional thinkers were antagonized by another point of
> view.  I think they were antagonized by the tone of some of the posts on this thread
> and by the implication or outright statement that they were stupid or deluded for
> holding their point of view.  Now it seems that they were simply sharing the view
> held by (at least some) acknowledged authorities in the field.
>
> Phil F

Phil, to be fair, I think that there has been quite the degree of side talk, if I may
call it that, on both sides. I have met this kind of thing before as well, and have been
guilty of it also for that matter.  One learns, after a while to be more clever at
avoiding  accusatory off topic modes of discussional distraction..... at least hopefully
one learns that. That is to say one does this if one is concerned about the discussion
progressing in a productive manner. If on the other hand, one is cynical enough to wish
to steer a discussion unrightfully towards one's own favor for the sake of that favor
alone, then one could easily enough employ such technique willfully. But whether
willful, spiteful, or simply out of frustration, off topic insinuations of negative
charge have flourished from several cants on both sides.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.