Verituner needle display

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 04:09:09

Just a response to those that have been dissapointed with the needle type
display on the VT.  I've begun to feel that the needle display has more
information to offer than the spinner.  As the spinner (or led's on SAT)
slow down, meaning the string is closer to pitch, you need to wait longer to
see any change between minute movements. (full blush, 4 lights lit, etc)
However, with a needle the quick response speed is maintained no matter how
close to pitch you want to get. With false beats, spinners get jumpy, while
the needle shows the range of sharp to flat.  Maybe it's all the practice I
had back in my Korg days.....

The VT has 3 levels of needle display.  In wide mode, from -100cents to +40
cents is visible.  Medium -50 to +20.  Narrow -25 to +10.  The distance from
0 to 5 cents is 1/2 inch, which easily gives a resolution as fine as it is
possible to tune.  Coupled with both displays is a numerical representation
of the pitch. (to the nearest tenth in fine mode)  Now there's a real "stud
check" (sorry ladies)  How close to zero is that note?  Does it stay there?
What is your margin for error?  Boy, trying to get to zero can really slow
down a tuning!

Is it cool?  Is it in color?  Well no, but there aren't the inertia or
friction problems with the real needles.  I'd say, don't give up on the
needle display too quickly.

Ron Koval