Tuning Pin Size

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:06:39 -0800

David,

The details are in the article, but the disadvantage is that the 1/0 pin will be
less rigid.  This can be a problem in a Steinway type design where the distance
between the point of string tension and the pin block is roughly three times
greater than in an open face design, and where there is no plate bushing to
mitigate the leverage.  If that's the design Steinway wants, my pins are the
answer, in my opinion.  They are fat, with the needed rigidity, right up to the
coil, at which point they become 1/0.  If you keep the original block on a
Steinway and replace the 2/0 pins with mine (the ones with the 1/0 heads), I
think you'll get better performance than the original pins.

Paul