Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:37:21 EST

Del,

The accu-just hitchpin came into being the year I left Baldwin. When I saw
this innovation I was deeply troubled. I felt that the substitution of the
accujust hitchpin for the duplex scale was a step in the wrong direction. It
was an attempt to sacrifice a proven element of controlling the oliquot
distance of the non speaking length for the option of controlling the
downbearing. I believe i would be correct in stating that the fortunes of
Baldwin began to deteriorate at this time.

Since  accujust hitchpins have been integrated into the scale I have never
heard of anyone, artist or technician, who has endorsed the improvement of
the tone of the piano. Perhaps I haven't heard all there is, which is
entirely possible. However, Baldwin had a great piano and a great duplex
scale design. Perhaps it is time to reconsider returning to the original
scale design with improvements in the duplex scale and eliminating the
accujust hitch pins. Fazioli and Mason & Hamlin have made great inroads in
duplex scale design; perhaps Baldwin could come up with a new characteristic
that would enhance the tone of the piano. It seems that touting the accujust
hitchpins is like beating a dead horse. I'd love to see a Baldwin Renaissance.

Dan Franklin-