Tuning Pin Size

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:54:12 -0500

"....and the February (PTG Journal) issue isn't out yet."

Oh, yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :-)

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: larudee@pacbell.net=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 2:37 AM
  Subject: Re: Tuning Pin Size

  Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:=20
      The details are in the article, but the disadvantage is that the =
1/0 pin will be=20
      less rigid.  This can be a problem in a Steinway type design where =
the distance=20
      between the point of string tension and the pin block is roughly =
three times=20
      greater than in an open face design, and where there is no plate =
bushing to=20
      mitigate the leverage.=20
        Hi Paul -- I'll read the article but would you mind saying this =
a different way as it's not clear to me. I find that using no 1 pins in =
new blocks is not a problem unless fit too tight but what pin isn't. I =
don't have any trouble with no. ones otherwise. I'll read the article, =
really!  I can't deny that no 2 are stiffer but ones render nicely when =
fit well which is why I like them.

  Dale,=20
  Part of the problem, even when you read the article, is that it's in =
two installments, and the February issue isn't out yet.  The answer to =
your question will probably lead to more questions, all of which are =
addressed fully in the article.  The simplest answer, however, is that =
in a Steinway the string height above the pin block - not the plate - is =
roughly three times greater than it is in an open face design like a =
Bechstein.  Since the string tension is roughly the same, the leverage =
exerted by the string on the pin is three times as great.  If the pin =
sizes are the same in both cases, pin flex will produce roughly three =
times as much string movement in the Steinway as in the Bechstein - i.e. =
it is less stable.  Going to a larger, stiffer pin size will partly =
compensate for that.=20

  Chances are that at this point we get into "but what about...," in =
which case I get to rewrite the whole article on line.  I would just as =
soon wait for the February Journal.  There will probably still be plenty =
to debate, but at least not the stuff I've already covered in the =
article.=20

  Best regards,=20

  Paul=20