Tuning Pin Size

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:03:14 -0500

Paul -
I think you are right.  There has and will be plenty to discuss.  I, at
least, have already gotten the Feb issue, and also promise to read it, but
some of my concerns date back to a number of months ago when, in response
to a particular thread, you first started talking about your pin.  One of
these concerns is that, as a way of avoiding block replacement, they are
not viable if, as in many of the pianos I see, the original pins are
already against the plate, whatever their size.  Second, while I understand
(I think) the theory regarding torque and flex, I suspect that other
factors, such as lack of quality control of pins, or of the fit between pin
and block (whether new or repinned), not to mention too much or too little
friction between pin and sounding length of string, have much effect upon
tunability than the diameter around which the string coils.  Remember two
things about pin flex...1) It can be a very useful tool in fine tuning, and
2) it is affected by tightness in the block.   A tight pin with no flex can
be as difficult to fine tune as a pin with too much flex, whatever its
diameter.

Now to read your article and find out what you really said..

David Skolnik