pin comparisons

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:27:43 EST

In a message dated 1/26/2002 4:13:01 AM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

> Subj:Re: pin comparisons
> Date:1/26/2002 4:13:01 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:A440A@AOL.COM">A440A@AOL.COM</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Greetings,
> Dale writes:
>
> >>To my mind it doesn't really
> matter how   .   big the pin is, within reason  a no.1 thru 4 pin as long
> > as they render easily in the    block. know what I mean.
> .
> >a  block with number ones and they're to tight it 's still hard just as
> hard
> > to tune as the too tight no.4 >>
>
>         While I like experimenting as much as the next person, I am finally
>
> satisfied with my pin/block/drill combination.  The D at Vanderbilt tunes
> like a dream.  I used 1/0 pins from Pianotek in a Steinway plank.  I
> drilled
> it with a new "C" bit in the bass and middle section, switching over to the
>
> "D" bit for the last two octaves.

<.>>>>>>>>>>What is the decimal equivelents for these bits?
 Generally I've used a .250 for no. ones at 2&3/8" and not always happy. I've
thought that a .253 or .so would be better fit in the treble( but haven't
looked for a bit that size) and a .250 in the bass.
     After two years, the torque has remained a

> around 120 in/lbs in the bass, and a little less than 100 in/lbs in the
> top.
> Not a single jumping pin in the piano.  I don't notice any additional flex
> in
> these pins compared to 2/0.  However,  the older D with the 4/0 pins does
> have a bit more rigidity,(which is good,because it is a tight block).
>    Contrast this to our brand new D.  The tightest pins in the piano are in
>
> the top octave!  Geez, and I have to live with this.  There is no need for
> jumpy pin with 150 in/lbs torque in the top octave of a piano and  I
> consider
> it an artless stringing job when it makes tuning unnecessarily hard for us
> tuners.
>   >>>>>Dittos on that

 I am beginning to understand why some older rebuilder/techs  I know

> eventually got to where they only tuned their own rebuilds.

    >>>Ed if every steinway tuned like an old original well preserved factory
job we'd all be smiling and thats my goal.