Tuning Pin Size

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:42:32 -0800

Tommy,

Since you addressed your post to gentlemen, I know you didn't intend to include
me, but I'll respond anyway.  Bushings potentially reduce flex, depending upon
the bushing and the design.  Yamaha and Kawai supposedly do this better than
anyone except Joe Garrett, by drilling the bushing (actually a hardwood plug) and
the block together in the plate.  On the other hand, they use a pin that is
slightly smaller than 1/0 (6.90mm.), which restores some of the flex reduced by
the bushing design.  This is deliberate, because they need the flex in order to
compensate for the string geometry/friction in the front bearing areas.  In other
words, their design is such that the piano would be difficult to tune without
such flex.  In a Bechstein open face design, on the other hand, flex is much less
a factor, and yet it is quite tunable.

Paul Larudee