Tuning Pin Size

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:49:51 -0500

"The larger the size difference between the two portions, the greater =
the risk."

Why would that be? I should think the point at which a pin would shear =
would depend entirely on the metal composition (let's assume this is =
constant), its diameter, and the tightness of the pin/block fit =
(torque). As you make any pin size fit tighter in the block, it will get =
closer to its shear point. As you make any pin smaller in diameter, you =
will move toward a lower shear point. Diameter and torque - I think that =
is all. Why would the diameter contrast between the top and bottom =
portion affect its shear strength? Is there something about the =
machining process?

Or do you mean (by the above quote): 'The smaller the diameter of the =
top portion of the pin, the greater the risk of shearing' (because, of =
course, the smaller diameter pin will have a lower shear strength, and =
will shear at a lower pin torque).

How would the diameter of the bottom portion of the pin affect the shear =
strength? I am assuming that the rebuilder will drill/ream/whatever the =
hole to a proper diameter for the diameter of the pin bottom portion.=20

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: larudee@pacbell.net=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 5:03 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning Pin Size

  Good point.  There is a slightly greater danger of this than there =
would be with ordinary pins.  The larger the size difference between the =
two portions, the greater the risk.  However, if the pin is that tight, =
it won't be tunable anyway.  On the other hand, I don't think I would =
advise a 6.75mm. top on a size 5/0 (7.45mm.) base.  I may be =
overcautious, but I wouldn't go over a half millimeter difference in =
diameter (=3D 1/4 mm. radius).  I haven't done the math on the stress =
factors.=20
  Paul=20

  David Love wrote:=20

    Paul: Because of the difference in diameter between the coil portion =
and the block portion, is there any danger of shearing the pin off if =
the pin is too tight in the block? David Love=20