pin comparisons

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:56:44 -0500

"I 've been paying closer attention to the emc the block is drilled at. =
I don't want to drill it on either end of the emc spectrum but in the 40 =
to 50% range..."

May I assume the emc is not in the 40% to 50% range, but rather the =
reletive humidity (RH) of your shop is in that range? If not, no wonder =
your bits don't get hot - you're drilling under water!

All in fun and for the sake of clarity!  ;-)

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 5:50 PM
  Subject: Re: pin comparisons

  In a message dated 1/26/2002 2:06:10 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj:Re: pin comparisons=20
    Date:1/26/2002 2:06:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From:A440A@AOL.COM
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

        Ed

     Now I'm curious. If I used any thing smaller  than .250 to drill =
no. one pins in the buldoc blocks I'd be hatin life. Are you perhaps =
running the drill speed slower or are you just stronger than Me.?Slower =
speed usually nets a looser fit. I've been currently running drilll =
speeds of 1200 to 1400 rpm.
       I guess we should also factor in the climate variables from =
Calif. to Nashville. We don't get the super low humidity for prolonged =
periods how bout you. Or Humid for that matter.
       I 've been paying closer attention to the emc the block is =
drilled at . I don't want to drill it on either end of the emc spectrum =
but in the 40 to 50% range unless it's going to the desert.

    I wrote:
    <<   I used 1/0 pins from Pianotek in a Steinway plank.  I=20
    > drilled=20
    > it with a new "C" bit in the bass and middle section, switching =
over to the=20
    >=20
    > "D" bit for the last two octaves.=20

    Dale asks:=20
    >>>What is the decimal equivelents for these bits?
        The C is .242", the D is .246" and the E is .250".   I have used =
an E at=20
    the top, thought it left too little margin for long term safety. =20

    Regards,=20
    Ed =20